Thursday, October 20, 2011

New Tech Standards and Requirements

In viewing the new technology standards for students, I chose to evaluate the following for my fourth and fifth grade classroom and my 6th grade classroom:

#2) Communication and Collaboration

Communication and collaboration seems to be what Web 2.0 and cloud computing is all about. It is a standard for collaboration and support. What better way then with a Google Document or with a Yodio could we collaborate, communicate, and produce projects? Other forms of media, such as a class blog or website would also meet some of these standards. It also holds the student and teacher accountable for contributing to the learning environment. Again, it seems to me the programs we have been working with recently fits this mold.

#4) Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making

Having a lot of knowledge is not the most important element in education. Knowing how to find knowledge is probably more important. Additionally equipping students with techniques on how to find information faster, or using a digital tool to analyze data more efficiently can save more time for learning. Equipping students with the tools to find the materials they need for research, efficient collecting data collection, and interpreting data are all things digital tools can assist with. This is the at the heart of this element.



#5) Digital Citizenship

Students need to know what is right and wrong, especially in the digital world. Rules and regulations in place for citizenship protects them in the long run. Digital citizenship also gives students life skills in other forms of citizenship. This element may be one of the most important in these standards because it defines expectations for students. This element will be a huge priority for me and my students. I will model good citizenship for my students, and they will need to follow in order to have the privilege of using the technology.

Just like in every job, more responsibility many times offers more challenges. It also creates more liability. As a teacher the first step to overcoming challenges of a new responsibility is to educate myself. I will get to know all of these standards to the best of my ability. I will them implement these standards in my classroom and make them routine. I want my students to receive the best education I can provide, and the use of technology is an important tool in their educational journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment